Under the direct supervision of the Director-General, who is the designated official for Kenya, the incumbent is responsible for the security of some 5,000 staff, delegates and contractors within the perimeter of the Gigiri compound, and an average of 170,000 visitors each year and performs the functions as Chief Security Advisor to the Director-General. In addition he/she manages the Security for numerous high level inter-governmental conferences/meetings both within the UNON complex and at overseas venues. The position manages 187 staff of the Service, at all levels and categories, in order to deliver a safe and secure environment for all UN staff both at the Gigiri compound and in Kenya.
Specific responsibilities will be as follows:
A. Coordinate the UN security efforts in both urban centres and up-county areas of Kenya by:
1. Ensuring the safety and security of UN staff assigned to Kenya including their family members;
2. Improving security of UN facilities throughout Kenya; ensuring that the Security equipment and procedures are consistent with the current procedures established by UNDSS;
3. Preparing and updating Security Risk Assessments, Minimum Operating Security Standards and UN contingency plans.
4. Establishing close working relationship with UN Agencies, the Security Forces of the Kenyan Government, commercial security companies, Embassies, High Commissions and International Organizations.
5. Managing security arrangements to cover meetings held at UN offices in Nairobi and coordination with relevant local authorities.
B. Ensure the security and safety of staff members by:
1. Managing the provision of security briefings.
2. Managing and supervising the investigation of security relevant incidents.
3. Liaising with local law enforcement authorities and Permanent Missions on special security arrangements.
4 Outside operational activities:
(a) Accompanying the Secretary-General and other VIPs on mission to Kenya and organizing security measures in co-ordination with security services;
(b) Participating in international, regional or national meetings on security matters as required.
E. Direction and Management of the Security Services at UNON.
Managing and supervising the functioning of the Service according to the need of Organization, including establishing safety policies and standards, recruitment policies and standards for security personnel and resource planning.