Full-Time COUNTRY PROGRAMME MANAGER – GOAL (ETHIOPIA)
COUNTRY PROGRAMME MANAGER, ETHIOPIA
Reporting to: Assistant Country Director (Programmes)
Supervising: Livelihoods, HIV, Health, WASH, Gender, Child Protection and Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning Programme Coordinators
Job Location: GOAL Ethiopia Head Office with frequent field travel
Contract Length: 12 months
Start Date: Immediate
GOAL has been working in Ethiopia since 1984 implementing a range of activities in its programmes in Humanitarian Response, Rural Development and with street children.
The Humanitarian Response Programme focuses on nutrition intervention activities, working with the Ministry of Health to monitor the nutrition, health and food security status within its current intervention areas in Oromiya, SNNPR and Amhara Region.
The Rural Development Programme focuses on health, education, nutrition and WASH, with particular emphasis on integration of activities and community participation as a core feature of activity in Sidama, Borena and West Hararghe Programme Offices. It is a multi-disciplinary, multi-annual and multi-donor programme operating in six Woredas. Sectoral intervention areas are WASH, Health, HIV/ AIDS, Livelihoods and Agriculture and Education with cross-cutting themes including gender, child protection and community participation.
The Street Children programme, which is located in Addis, works with on and off street children by focusing on the strengths of children and young people and through partnership building, collaboration and networking with various stake holders, the programme supports diverse community structures and initiative through approaches that are Street and Care focused. Cross cutting issues include gender, the environment, child protection and HIV/AIDS. GOAL Ethiopia utilises a strengths-based approach to all development activities.
General Description of the Role and Objectives
• The Country Programme Manager is responsible for overseeing the staff and activities of the GOAL Ethiopia Programme Team (PT). The PT provides technical support to all three GOAL Ethiopia (GE) Programme areas – the Humanitarian Response Programme, the Rural Development Programme and the Children at Risk Programme.
• The Country Programme Manager supervises nine PT staff representing all GE’s sectors of implementation specifically gender; HIV/AIDS; child protection; livelihoods; health; water, sanitation and hygiene; monitoring, evaluation and learning; and community development.
• The Country Programme Manager is expected to have an experience-based knowledge of all GE sectors and as such to provide concrete, practical support in ensuring that activities in each are technically sound innovative, and in keeping with national and international best practices and guidelines.
• With experience working with a variety of donors, the Country Programme Manager will support the design of new projects, proposal development and other activities to support the diversification of GE’s funding base.
• The Country Programme Manager will also provide support to the PT in project management activities, including donor compliance, budget management and activity tracking.
Description of Functional Relationships of the Role
• The Country Programme Manager will have a functional responsibility of overseeing the sector coordinators within the Head Office Programme Team
• Work closely with managers of Rural Development Programme, Humanitarian Response Programme and Children at Risk Programme to ensure technical excellence of all interventions
• Line management of Technical Coordinators and leadership of the country-level Programme Team
• Ensure Continuous Performance Appraisal process is followed consistently with team
• Responsible for the recruitment of all HO and Field level technical programmes staff
• Direct Budget Management of specific Programme Quality (M&E, R&D and organisational development) budgets
• Ensure that Programme Coordinators are able to provide a high level of input and direction in all project design and are responsible for all project planning and budget preparation concerning their sector
• Coordinate project design and funding applications for submission to potential donor organisations
• Develop new and innovative approaches, skills and competencies within the RDP and programme team
• Ensure continuous technical support to field managers
• Coordinate and plan technical support from the HO Programme Team and The Programme Coordinators
Monitoring and Evaluation
• Conduct field level monitoring and prepare field visit reports
• Ensure that information generated from all field sites is documented and where appropriate absorbed by GE staff for future programme design and implementation
• Ensure that all projects are using relevant quality data in the periodic process and impact monitoring of programme delivery
• Assist in the implementation and continued development of GOAL’s M&E framework.
• Assist Programme Team Technical Coordinators in the formulation of sector specific strategic plans
• Participate as a key member of the Country Senior Strategic Planning Team
• Develop close working relationships with GOAL international Technical Team members and ensure close communication of the Programme Team staff with the respective technical counterparts
• Form working relationships and share ideas and information with other development INGOS and local organisations at national level
• Represent GOAL within national level forums and networks
Capacity and Training
• Mentor national Programme Team manager
• Identify training needs and professional support requirements of staff
• Familiarise, understand and implement, according to area of responsibility, GOAL’s policies and procedures on mainstreaming of Gender, HIV/AIDS and Child Protection.
Finance and Compliance
• Familiarise and understand GOAL donor compliance issues, specifically to the terms and conditions of the relevant donors
• Ensure that documentation and record keeping requirements are understood and adhered to by Programme Team staff
• Schedule ‘Grant Management meetings’ as appropriate throughout the Programme timeframe; at a minimum: pre-implementation, review & close out meetings.
• Masters Degree in Development or closely related field of study
• At least five years senior management experience managing a mulit-sectoral development programme with an international NGO in at least two countries
Key qualities, Skills and Competences:
• Ability to write in English to a very high standard
• Excellent knowledge of national and international development policy
• Demonstrable in-depth knowledge of at least four of the following sectoral areas – WASH, health, HIV/AIDS, education, livelihoods and agriculture, gender, child protection and community participation.
• Wide ranging knowledge and experience of M&E tools, systems and approaches
• Excellent communication skills including the ability to facilitate training and consultation events and workshops with a wide range of participants
How to Apply
If you would like to apply for the above position, please send your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org, ensuring that the job title and location of the role are clearly stated in the subject line of your email.
506 total views, 1 today